Protect hands and furniture from hot soup, chili, and oatmeal with a soup bowl cozy that’s as cute as it is functional! They’re fast and easy to make, which makes them ideal handmade gifts!
- 2–10″ squares of fabric
- 2–10″ squares of batting (I use Pellon’s Wrap N Zap)
- Air- or water-soluble marking pen
Note: If you plan to microwave your bowl, only use 100% cotton fabric, batting, and thread. Anything polyester or metallic with set on fire.
Assemble the Soup Bowl Cozy:
1. Layer each square of fabric on top of a square of batting. Pin around the squares.
2. Quilt an X through each fabric/batting square.
3. Fold one fabric/batting square in half with batting side out. Using a marking tool, mark a dot one inch from the fold and two inches from the top. Draw a line between them.
4. Repeat Step 3 on the bottom corner of the folded square.
5. Sew along both drawn lines. Trim seam allowance to 1/8″ to prevent bulk.
6. Fold the fabric/batting square in half in the opposite direction, and mark the fold edge one inch from the fold and two inches from the top and bottom. Draw a line between them.
7. Sew along both drawn lines. Trim seam allowance to 1/8″ to prevent bulk.
8. Open the square. It should sit up like a bowl.
9. Repeat steps 3-8 with second fabric/batting square to make a second bowl shape.
10. Turn one bowl shape right side out.
11. Layer both bowl shapes with right sides together, making sure to align corners and side seam lines.
12. Sew around the edges of the layered bowl shapes with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Leave a 3″ opening along one side for turning.
13. Turn the bowl right side out through the opening. Push out corners.
14. Topstitch around the edge of the bowl, turning the opening in for a 1/4″ seam when you get to it to close.
I made 10 of these bowls for co-workers in one night! They’re such an easy project and make great gifts! I paired my bowls with a soup mix and a cute printable gift tag from Make It Yourself magazine.
It’s so fun to choose fabrics for this project! Since the bowls are reversible, it’s important that the fabrics coordinate.
I’ll be enjoying warm soups and chili all winter! The bowl is perfect for reheating soups in the microwave (it’s microwave safe!), and for protecting hands when the chili is hot out of the slow cooker.
Thanks for joining me for “happy hour,”