As someone who loves reading and is constantly reading more than one book at a time, it’s surprising to me that I don’t have any cute bookmarks! My bookmarks are an eclectic mix of freebies picked up at book sales or handmade ones from grade school. I wanted to be able to enjoy my bookmarks as much as the book I was reading, so I decided to make my own!
Better yet, this entire year I’ll be making a bookmark a month (with a free pattern, of course!) and sharing my reading list! You can find my reading list at the end of the blog!
- 2 — 2.5 x 8.5″ rectangles of fabric
- 1 — 1.75 x 7.75″ rectangle of fusible fleece ( I used Thermoweb Heat’n Bond High Loft Iron-On Fusible Fleece.)
Finished bookmark: 2 x 8″
Assemble the Bookmark:
1. Layer the fabric rectangles right sides together, and sew together using a 1/4″ seam allowance. Leave the top side unsewn.
2. Turn the rectangle right side out. Push out the corners using the eraser end of a pencil. Press the fabric flat.
3. Slide the fusible fleece rectangle inside the fabric pieces. (I pushed the fleece as far down as possible and used a pencil to smooth out bumps.)
4. Turn the open end of the bookmark in 1/4″, and press in place.
5. Topstitch around the bookmark using a 1/4″ seam allowance. This should close the open end of the bookmark.
6. Fuse the fleece in place following manufacturer’s instructions. This helps provide stability to the bookmark and hold all the layers together.
And here’s my reading list for January! Since it’s the beginning of the year, there are a lot of self-help and inspirational books to start my year off on the right foot!
- Uncommon Type: Some Stories by Tom Hanks
- The Wisdom of Sundays: Life-Changing Insights from Super Soul Conversations by Oprah Winfrey
- Perfectly Yourself: New and Revised Edition by Matthew Kelly
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson
- The Four Tendencies: The Indispensable Personality Profiles That Reveal How to Make Your Life Better (and Other People’s Lives Better, Too) by Gretchen Rubin
- A Simplified Life: Tactical Tools for Intentional Living by Emily Ley
This page may contain affiliate links. Please review my disclosure for more info.
Thanks for joining me for “happy hour”,
What books are you reading now? I’m always on the lookout for more to add to my reading list!