I love small gifts that I can make in multiples! This hexagon coaster allows you to use scraps of fabric to create a handmade present everyone will love!
- 6 triangles (get the triangle template here)
- 9″ square of backing fabric
- 9″ square of batting
Finished hexagon mug rug: 7.5″ wide
Use the triangle template to cut out six triangles. You can trace around the template with a marking tool on the wrong side of the fabric and then cut out, or pin the template to the fabric and cut around it.
Assemble the Mug Rug:
1. Arrange six triangles in a hexagon shape.
2. Sew together two triangles in each row using a 1/4″ seam. Press seam in the top row to the right and seam in the bottom row to the left.
3. Sew the third triangle to each pair of triangles to form two hexagon halves, pressing in the same direction as Step 2.
4. Sew the two hexagon halves together using a 1/4″ seam. It’s important in this project that the center points lines up. To do this, use a positioning pin. (Explanation follows in next steps.)
5. Push a pin through the point of the seam allowance on the wrong side of one hexagon half.
6. Push that same pin through the center point on the right side of the other hexagon half.
7. With the center pin holding the pieces in place, align the edges of the hexagon halves and pin the sides together. Sew together using a 1/4″ seam allowance.
8. Layer your backing, batting, and hexagon.
9. Trim the backing and batting even with the hexagon.
10. Layer batting, backing right side up, and hexagon right side down.
11. Pin the layers together on each side.
12. Sew around the hexagon using a 1/4″ seam allowance, leaving a 2″-wide opening along one edge for turning.
13. Trim each corner of the hexagon to 1/8″ to avoid bulk.
14. Turn the hexagon right side out. Push out corners and press. Fold the opening inside 1/4″, then pin closed.
15. Topstitch around the hexagon using matching thread, stitching the opening closed as you come to it.
Thanks for joining me for “happy hour”,